Thursday, November 8, 2007

Shopping Spree at Fairway


So right before my fateful date mentioned below I had to make a choice. A choice I never like making. I had just come in from Oslo and I was really really tired and really really hungry. I chose sleep. I didn't know if we were eating on our date, but I guess it didn't matter either way, because all I had in my cupboard was a Toblerone, some cookies from Switzerland, and some random cooking ingredients that you can't just eat. So I went without, all the while being scolded by Allina that I really needed to buy some groceries. Duh.

So yesterday, for the first time since living in Manhattan, I drove to Fairway. Being a Fairway virgin, I was a little overwhelmed. For awhile, I just drove my empty cart around the store. Finally I started putting the stuff on my list in there. Then I started putting random stuff that looked good in there. Smoked salmon, butternut squash soup, random cheeses. At first I thought the store was all organic. I bought 3 boxes of organic Peace cereal, which I am happily eating right now. Who doesn't want their cereal to have quotes from Mahatma Ghandi on it? And the berries in the cereal taste just like fresh berries!

$113 later, I was all checked out. I figured it's okay, thinking of how I haven't gone grocery shopping for 6 months, and thinking of all the meals I've skipped because I didn't have food around. I took 2 trips hauling it up my 4 flights of stairs and set to eating. Yum.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! I am surprised you only spend that much! I am making homemade butternut squash soup tonight...man, I need a date. However, I still haven't heard your story from your own lips!! Tonight?

Alicia said...

It even looks like a beautiful place to shop, though I doubt you bought fresh flowers. . .