Monday, November 5, 2007

random sunday thoughts

This week I've really felt like a New Yorker. Like a normal person. Not that those are one and the same really. They're probably not. But I've been off for a few days, and actually felt like I've lived in the city, and that has been nice. Doing normal people things. Waking up in the morning. Going to bed at a reasonable hour. Not ordering delivery every meal. Not flying anywhere, not driving back and forth to the airport or riding the bus where the mean man checks your ID even though you're in a FLIGHT ATTENDANT UNIFORM. Now I'm back at work, going to Oslo tonight, and it's like, 'oh yeah, I have a job.' I think it will be a little hard to get into work tonight. But I'm pretty sure I'll get into it quick cause I hear that those flights are CRAZY and the people are thirsty.

On another, unrelated note, on my way to church, I was driving along, enjoying the ride (perhaps too much), listening to music, and I guess I just went into autopilot. Apparently I thought I was going to work, and I took the exit for the George Washington Bridge. There is nowhere to turn around from that point on. So there I was, going across the bridge, into New Jersey, instead of North, to church, where I really wanted to be. So I exited at the first exit, the Palisades, and all I could think of was the Billy Joel song "See the Lights go Down on Broadway," but sadly, that song offered me no clues on how to get back to Manhattan. I drove around the Palisades for a few minutes, looking for signs back to the GW bridge, and eventually found my way back. Fortunately I had $6 to get across the bridge, because that's what it costs to enter my lovely island. Where else can you get lost and it costs you $6? As soon as I was driving back across the bridge I turned my radio back on and could see a lovely view of Manhattan. This is exactly what I heard on the radio: "if you're lost you will look and you can find it, time after time..." Seriously. Uncanny.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that Cindy was there to serenade you!!