Thursday, June 5, 2008

Bikram yoga, or Sweat until you drop

Holy crap! I've never sweat so much in my life!

So last night I tried Bikram yoga. For the non-yogis out there, this is the kind where you do yoga in a hot room. A heated room, set to 100 degrees. I was pretty scared, having been told right before I left my house that it is worse than giving birth. I wasn't sure why I was trying it, other than I figure I'll try most things at least once. But I fully planned on hating it, and wanted to have done it at least once so that I could say, "I tried it and I wanted to die." That's the other thing I heard about it, it makes you dizzy, nauseous, and possibly wanting to die.

I went into it with very bad expectations. Most people who know me, know that I am not really a big workout person. I told my cousin Christine that I went running one day, and she asked if someone was chasing me. So I figured this kind of extreme physical activity would be too much for me. Plus I am not really a sweatter, I rarely perspire, but this, THIS was something else. Everyone in the room, including me, was soaked by the middle of class. After awhile, you are just used to being wet, like swimming. But the amazing thing was that I never wanted to die, or felt like I was going to. I just tried to focus, and rested a couple times for a minute if I felt dizzy. But I think I actually liked it! I felt great afterward, and will probably go again.

4 comments:

Maigen said...

I have been DYING to try that!!!

Jessica Steed said...

Wow, I can't believe that! You are totally not someone who I would expect to like it.
But, this confirms my theory that expectations are everything.
If you had expected it to be awesome, you may not have liked it as well.
Also, did you use the yoga mat that I gave you?
:)
I hope so.

venegasfamily said...

Hi Michelle- Your blog is so fun to read. That sucks you had to take a taxi instead of the bus! Crazy people! So I work with a guy- Chris Wilson- who told me today that he knows your brother, Brian, really good. He was on my blog and saw your name... funny huh? Hope you are doing good!
-Sus

Unknown said...

like I said, my friend told me it was worse than giving birth. I am sticking to that story. Of course, if I weighted 90 pounds like you, it might be easier to do that downward dog!